Welcome to Punalu‘u Bake Shop!
Welcoming over 200,000 visitors from near and far every year, our bake shop is the most visited bakery in the state of Hawaii. Located on Mamalahoa Highway (Route 11) in the town of Na‘alehu, midway between Kailua-Kona and Volcanoes National Park, our visitor center is a must-stop! You know you’re close when you smell the sweet aroma of our world-famous sweetbreads, malasadas, and baked goods.
The Punalu‘u Bake Shop Experience
- Our world-famous bakery — sweet breads, malasadas, turnovers, cheesecake, pies, eclairs, and other pasties in a variety of ‘ono (delicious) varieties and flavors
- Sweet bread samples! Original, guava, macadamia nut, original, taro, apple cinnamon — all broke ‘da mouth!
- Take a peek into our kitchen and production shop (our recipes are still top secret though!)
- Gift shop — with fun souvenirs
- Outdoor restaurant — a varied menu of hearty local plate lunch favorites, sandwiches, vegetarian fare, fresh garden and fruit salads, fresh brewed Ka‘u coffee and ice cream to complement the bake shop's renowned sweetbread, malasadas, anpans (Japanese pastries) and other scrumptious bakery favorites
- Tropical gardens — lush four-acre garden full of tropical palms, flowers, and other Hawaiian floral exotica
- Live music by local musicians
- Self-service concierge area — visitor brochures and information on Volcanoes National Park and the Punaluu Black Sand Beach
- Modern restroom facilities
- Free parking and electric car-charging stations
Did You Know?
- At latitude 19 degrees, four minutes north of the equator — the Punalu‘u Bake Shop and Visitor Center is the southernmost bakery in the U.S.A.
- Located on Mamalahoa Highway (Route 11) in the town of Na‘alehu, midway between Kailua-Kona and Volcanoes National Park, our bakery and visitor center welcome more than 200,000 visitors from around the world each year.